
My subway stop for work is McPherson Square/White House. Michelle Obama decided that she wanted to close Vermont Avenue every Thursday for a Farmers Market (note the Secret Service guys on lookout).
My first thought as a dark suited/red power tie kinda guy was, "Dammit-this is going to totally screw up my commute. And there are going to be hippies everywhere". In fact, it did a make it a little bit more difficult but I finally gave in and went to the Market on Thursday on my way home. OK, so my snap stereotype was broken-these vendors knew their stuff.

I took my time shopping and tried a lot of the vendors' products. I talked to them about what would go well with whatever. There was a local bakery and the gentleman seemed genuinely pleased to discuss how he made his semolina bread with me. The array of fresh vegetables made my local Safeway seem like it was bush league. I stumbled upon one stall where the dude working it was selling bison meat.
I have always heard that it was excellent and tasted just like beef but much leaner and probably 100 times healthier. After talking to the guy for a minute I decided to go for it. I told him that I am a bison meat virgin and he simply said, "Try the burgers". So, I picked up some awesome bread, heirloom tomatoes, and some bison burgers. I made them on Friday night and we LOVED them. My wife really liked the fact that bison was so much leaner than beef and that it not only tasted pretty much like beef but tasted better. So, we may be doing bison burgers more often.
Michelle, good call. You are as smart as you are good lookin'. Thanks from just a regular Joe who works down the street from your house.
My Dad loves Bison burgers. I haven't been adventurous enough to try them!
ReplyDeleteMy Pawpaw wanted to a bison burger so badly and I promised I would always try one if I ever had the opportunity. Glad you enjoyed!!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I envy you the fresh produce. Here on our little island, which grows nothing edible, everything is trucked in from who knows where. We're hoping for a mini Farmers Market when Season starts. Did you know that Eastern Market on Capitol Hill is open again after renovation? Maybe that would be a good weekend field trip?
ReplyDelete