Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Real men do eat quiche

I have some great childhood memories of my mom making quiche on special occasions. I always helped and I ALWAYS ate it.

This brought me to the conclusion the real men can eat quiche.

I am not quite sure where that absolutely stupid phrase came from, but I can tell you that if somebody won't eat this because of a dumb saying then they are definitely not a real man.

One thing I have learned is that you should try new things and not be limited by others' opinions.

As I said earlier, my mom would make this and I remember it quite fondly. Well, it's fantastic. I love this recipe.

But sorry mom, the student has surpassed the master on this one.


My quiche is better than yours.

My mother is as competitive as me and I am sure I will hear about this.

OK SO HERE GOES...

Ingredients:

Deep dish pie crust (buy the store one and save the hassle)

6-8 strips of bacon
(Bacon tastes good - with a Cain from Kung Fu reference it all comes full circle)

1/2 cup of the green part of a green onion (chopped)

1 cup of cubed swiss cheese

1/4 cup parmesan

3 eggs (beaten)

1 1/2 cups cream

S&P


Cook it!

  1. Preheat oven to 450

  2. Cut bacon into tiny pieces and cook in skillet

  3. Put the pie with tin in oven for 5 minutes

  4. throw the green onion into the skillet with the bacon & grease

  5. Once scallions are dark green and even a litle blackend remove from skillet

  6. Put bacon and scallions on paper towels and squeeze to remove most of the grease

  7. remove pie from oven

  8. add cheese

  9. beat eggs, cream, onions, scallions and S&P together

  10. thrown into pie

  11. 15 minutes in oven

  12. reduce the temp in oven to 350

  13. use a paper towel to remove excess oil that has risen to top (just blot)

  14. cook until a knife comes out clean and top is browned a little

  15. Its OK to use broiler for a minute
Dad's public service announcement: Bacon is good. Eat it often.

5 comments:

  1. This mom's public service announcement: Bacon is great, we do eat it often!

    And wow this recipe looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love quiche...and bacon!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the link. My stomach didn't turn at the thought of the meat recipe so maybe that's a good sign. If my kids will eat it how bad can it be!! Thanks again. I appreciate the guidance as far as children + eating are concerned...oh and I'm not adverse to parenting advice either!!

    Much love from NJ,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Sue - I must concur. Chris has taken the quiche to a whole new level...

    ReplyDelete
  4. the one truly great thing about your quiche recipe is the deep dish crust suggestion . . . quiche isn't worth eating if it's not the mile-high kind!! (bacon goes w/out saying)

    ReplyDelete