I had't been since the twins were born.
The guy who holds it is an old work friend of mine. He started Ribtravaganza 7 years ago and he always goes all out for this Memorial Weekend mainstay. He starts smoking the ribs the day before the party--seriously. He doesn't mess around and I can tell you that they are as good as or better than any ribs I've ever had at a resturant.
I brought my jalepeno corn bread to the party. Just to give you an idea of what Ribstravaganza is all about, here are a few sections of the e-vite he sent out.
IT IS TIME FOR RIBSTRAVAGANZA VII The Pork-onomic Stimulation Plan
Times are tough (but well cooked PORK is TENDER and JUICY), we are all feeling it (PERVERT, watch where you’re putting your hands we’re talking about the Pork-onomy). I feel it is my duty (as High Exultant Grill Master and Leader of the Church Of Ribstravagance) to do my part to STIMULATE (get your minds out of the gutter, there will be no feather dusters or animal husbandry at RIBSTRAVAGANZA). This is a time to REJOICE and REVEL and forget about your troubles while basking in the glory of PORKDOM.
So, what does this really mean to you? If you have to ask, you are either a Ribstravagant Virgin, you’re just stupid, or perhaps all the drugs you did as a child are beginning to cause problems now that you are getting old. To have a successful Pork-onomic Recovery you need several things (a machine gun, a large bag full of unmarked bills, 3 quarts of motor oil, a can of starting fluid, a pair of bright orange overalls, swim goggles, ballet slippers, a pair of rubber gloves, roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 for sure… nope, my bad, there I go again, confusing my plan to take over a small Central American country with my plan to STIMULATE the Pork-onomy).
Are LITTLE PEOPLE welcome at RIBSTRAVAGANZA?
Why yes, they are, but if they start drinking too much beer we will have to cut them off. We will also have a variety of yard work and light carpentry that they can do (power tools will be provided to any child over the age of 7. Children under 7 must bring their own power tools). Just kidding (but if they wanna work we can find something for them to do).
The kids loved the party. And no power tool injuries ruined the afternoon.

Ribstravaganza?!? How do I not know about this???
ReplyDeleteSounds like a perfect Memorial Day celebration.
ReplyDeleteGlad you all had fun. The kids look adorable!
Mmmmm ribs. Very funny post Chris. And super cute photos of the kiddos!
ReplyDeleteLilu - you can come with us next year. You and B would be a HUGE hit. And you can help watch our kids...
ReplyDeleteChris - call Jason about doing a DC Ribstravaganza. Stat!
I'm a big fan of your wife's blog. I love cooking so I'll be following this one as well!!
ReplyDeleteRibstravaganza sounds like a blast. Funny invitation!
Much love from NJ,
Sue