This is an odd one for me but I feel that it is worth writing.
My friend, Tiffany, had a hard year:
A divorce.
Her mother, whom she was very close to, passing away at an age when she should have been in her prime.
A terrible car accident.
A job in an industry where you can't be totally sure whether your next day will be your last.
Another car accident that ocurred while on a date where she had to be cut out of the car with the jaws of life.
I don't blame her for wanting to dive off the cliff that she has (more on that later).
She was always that "it girl". Tall, blond, fun, friendly-you get my point. She and I always had that kind of relationship where we clicked and were friends. Not the kind of friend who checks in every day but the one who is genuienly happy to see the other and chat for a few when we bumped into each other at a happy hour or the office.
But at some point during this year, I kind of backed off.
To be perfectly honest, I was intimidated by her and if you don't know me then you need to know that if I am extremely outgoing. I am not shy. I have few insecurities and the ones that I have I manage to hide.
Not so much with Tiffany after her seperation- I was intimidated. While I will admit that I think she is quite good looking, the reason for my intimidation was the fact that I didn't want to be seen as hitting on her now that she's single. I just didn't want that.
I saw her when the divorce happend and I didn't know what to say. I wanted to tell her that everything would be OK for no other reason than to be a good friend. But I am a married man with three kids. I wanted to be a friend to her while she was having a hard time - but I didn't want to give her the wrong impression.
Then her mother had a very unfortunate accident and passed away. I didn't know what to say. I am sure that whatever I said was awkward. I remember telling her sorry while we were in the office lobby one afternoon while we were crossing paths. She to lunch with friends and I was going to the pool for a workout.
Then she disappeared from the office for a bit. I heard through the grapevine that she had been in an accident. I was genuinely happy to see her back in the office. I remember seeing her in a dress that showed her back after this and seeing a few scars. It broke my heart.
Then I started to wonder why her Karma was so bad. What could this nice girl have done to deserve all of this?
She realized that she needed a change. She is taking over a year off and is travelling to Asia. Just getting out. Getting away. Healing. Getting back to herself.
I talked to her about her trip. It just reinforced what I already knew. She is awesome. A really cool person.
I am going to be keeping up with her on her blog that she will be writing about her travels. Check her out. She also promised to guest post for me every once in a while.
http://makinglemonade.tumblr.com
Go say hello to Tiffany for me every once in a while.
Almond Poppy Seed Muffins
6 days ago
Wow! She has been through so much. I read making lemonade and she has a great plan! I hope she is able to blog during that time!
ReplyDeleteAw, this made me really emotional. Why do such bad things happen to the nicest people? I'll never understand that. You're a good friend and a good man. Thank you for sharing her story. I'll be checking in on her too :o)
ReplyDeleteHopefully she can put it all back together again while she's out there.
ReplyDeleteI went through a divorce, lost the best job I ever have and have yet to make the money I made back then or even close to that, I was told I was no longer allowed to run, a huge passion of mine and my only two friends moved out of the city I live in. Life can be tough and it helps to have friends like you. Please tell Tiffany, I wish her nothing but a future filled with love and all her wishes coming true
ReplyDelete