Friday, August 7, 2009

Chicken Soup with Rice


When my fist kid was born I started to do the Freezer Cooking thing. I remember it being quite simple. Lasagnas, pasta sauces, chicken soup, tortilla soup, beef stew, and Brunswick stew. I love all of these recipes and will start cooking them all again. Although I need to buy a lot more Tupperware soon. The first thing I am going to make is Chicken Soup with rice- and I have no recipe so I taste it constantly. My kids love the book and my wife sings that song to them every night before bed.

Enough water to make a decent amount of soup

Enough chicken bouillon cubes to make the broth

About 2 handfuls of rice (be careful since rice expands and suck up water and too much will make your soup mushy)

Bay Leaf

Thyme

Bone on chicken (skinless)

Curry powder

Carrots (diced)

Celery (diced)

Pepper

Dried parsley


--------------------------------------------


Put chicken, bay leaf and water in pot and boil it for a while

Go have a drink and watch tv, play with the kids, read the paper

When the chicken looks completely cooked remove it from the water

Remove meat from bones and toss bones back in water

Chop the vegetables

Shred the meat or chop it-whatever

Throw in the chicken bouillon (use the directions each cube is usually for 2 cups of water)

Put the meat and veges in the pot

Put the spices and herbs in

Put the rice in and simmer until the rice is done

Taste and re-spice if needed


--------------------------------------------


As far as the bruise goes........ I fell down the basement steps when I was playing paddle ball with my dad in the backyard. You never would have guessed that huh!?

6 comments:

  1. I am very familiar with the chicken soup with rice song. I used to read the book and sing the song to my brothers when they were little.

    In January it's so nice
    While slipping on the sliding ice
    To sip hot chicken soup with riiiiice
    Sippin once. Sipping twice.
    Sippin chicken soup with riiiiice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You toss the bones back in the water? When do you take them out?

    I make chicken soup at least 1 times month I love chicken soup I could eat it everyday. If you throw an onion in with the chicken and bay leaf and add some salt and let it hard boil until the chicken is cooked and falling apart you can just drain the broth once the chcicken is cooked and then you don't have to use the bouillon cubes, they arn't much but salt anyway.

    I have never put curry powder or thyme in my soup but I am going to next time I make it. Aren't you excited for fall when the weather is cool and you can make all the comfort "warm" foods? I will be looking for the tortilla soup recipe!

    Sorry to hear about your fall! I am glad you are ok though! And NO noone would have guessed that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lost me at "broth".

    How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the kids were little and wouldn't eat vegetables I used to puree the veggies (definitely including onion) with a little of the broth and then add them to the soup for the final simmering. They loved the chicken soup with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of the chicken with rice song! Soup sounds tasty with curry powder!

    ReplyDelete