Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Meals for the week?

So, my wife is now a stay at home mom. We live off of my meagre paycheck. I need to figure out how to make meals stretch a little longer. I made lasagna the other night. I put half in the fridge and the other half wrapped up in portion sizes in the freezer.


Have you heard of something called Freezer Cooking? Basically you cook for one or two nights and can freeze what you arent eating immeditely. Then you can pull out dinner from the freezer for the rest of the week. Smart idea. Count me in. It cant be all that hard. Making lasagna with my daughter was fun (she will only become faster and more competent with time) and we can eat that for a few days. I read a good article recently about how to cook on a budget. Also, here are some freezer cooking websites & here & here. Let me know if you have anything that you like to make in bulk and freeze.

5 comments:

  1. We totally do this too Chris. Curries, beef stroganoff, everything really! It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I've done is freeze ingredients. Like when a recipe calls for 1 Tbs. of tomato paste or 1/2 c. chicken stock. I'll put the un-used stock in ice cube trays and the paste into a ziplock for later use. Works well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meatloaf seems like it would keep well. I make turkey meatloaf cupcakes a lot- two is a perfect serving, and it's easy to take to lunch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chili, BBQ, spaghetti, lasagna...anything really that we think will hold it's flavor for a second (or third) meal. Freezing is totally the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup, chili, potpies, stew, anything left over from the crockpot,stuffing for peppers lol. Any meals that we don't eat the entire amount I make I freeze and use them in the next few weeks/months. I also freeze some in tiny containers to take out for my daughters dinners.

    When are you going to post what happened to your leg? I am dieing here, what the heck happened to you?

    ReplyDelete