
I started to write this blog to talk about food... and whatever else comes to mind. This morning on the subway in to work I was trying to think of something to say. I wanted it to be something interesting.
I decided to talk about something that is very important to me. Now, I am not tooting my horn here but I do believe that with work, family, and my very limited social life I still have time to do something that is bigger than all of that.
I do volunteer work for Food & Friends. I have been delivering food to people who are very sick and shut in to their apartments all around my office in downtown. It really is an eye opening experience to deliver bag after bag of pre-prepared meals to people who you would never meet otherwise.
I have gotten to know some of the people over time on my route. Some just close their door after I hand them their meals. Some smile and say hello and nice to see you. One I actually chat with for a minute or two every time. I know that I am the only person that some of these people see that day. Just being able to do that one small thing for my neighbors makes me happy.
I would eventually like to be able to donate more of my time to this cause, maybe even help with the food preparation. Maybe I will start having my children volunteer with me when they are old enough. It's a good cause. It's the right thing to do. And maybe-just maybe I can teach my children that life is not all fun and games but more about being a kind person. Maybe this is a life lesson that I can share.
So if you have a minute-click on the logo above and check out Food & Friends. If you have a few extra dollars to spare, then please do so. If you have a few extra hours every month then please volunteer-if not for Food & Friends then for something else. Trust me-it will be an experience of a lifetime.
I decided to talk about something that is very important to me. Now, I am not tooting my horn here but I do believe that with work, family, and my very limited social life I still have time to do something that is bigger than all of that.
I do volunteer work for Food & Friends. I have been delivering food to people who are very sick and shut in to their apartments all around my office in downtown. It really is an eye opening experience to deliver bag after bag of pre-prepared meals to people who you would never meet otherwise.
I have gotten to know some of the people over time on my route. Some just close their door after I hand them their meals. Some smile and say hello and nice to see you. One I actually chat with for a minute or two every time. I know that I am the only person that some of these people see that day. Just being able to do that one small thing for my neighbors makes me happy.
I would eventually like to be able to donate more of my time to this cause, maybe even help with the food preparation. Maybe I will start having my children volunteer with me when they are old enough. It's a good cause. It's the right thing to do. And maybe-just maybe I can teach my children that life is not all fun and games but more about being a kind person. Maybe this is a life lesson that I can share.
So if you have a minute-click on the logo above and check out Food & Friends. If you have a few extra dollars to spare, then please do so. If you have a few extra hours every month then please volunteer-if not for Food & Friends then for something else. Trust me-it will be an experience of a lifetime.
What a wonderful thing to do. I'm proud that you want to get your children involved. My husband and I talk about ways we can get our daughter involved in helpful ways as she gets older all the time. I definitely want her to understand that everyone doesn't have it as easily as we do sometimes and beyond that being a friend to someone is sometimes what matters.
ReplyDeleteGood for you and what an inspiration for your kids!
What a great, great thing to do!
ReplyDeleteYou are the infamous Chris. I read your wife's blog regularly and thought I would stop on by.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you! I was doing something similar for a few years until I had to take a hiatus for health reasons. It is called Cooking With Love and a local church prepares hot meals for the elderly who can't get out and shop or cook for themselves. Then volunteers deliver the meals. I really loved doing it.
By the way, I will send you my recipe for potato pancakes which we had for dinner every Friday when I was a child. I still love them.
That's so great! Thanks for sharing that. I should definitely get back into volunteering. I haven't done any since college. I am going to click on over to their site now!
ReplyDeleteI truly wish I had some time to donate time. There are a few local charities that need volunteers but at this point I don't even have time to myself.
ReplyDeletegreat org. Now that my schedule at work has slowed down i was looking into Meals on Wheels. I like the fact that you can do yours during your workday . . . also I agree with you about getting your kids involved. We did community service as children and I think we all have responsibility to get our kids involved in community service and teach them these values
ReplyDelete