Ya, she makes me think of German culture too.Okay, so seriously, who doesn't like bratwursts? I happen to LOVE them. There is nothing better than brats. I am sure that since they are associated with Germans and Oktoberfest, many associate them with the waning days and chillier temperatures.
Not me brotha! It's hot, you feel the need to grill out. Lets do this right. Good call. Here is how I do it.
Get an onion or two (not that sweet vidalia crap either), and some green bell peppers. Slice them thin.
Place in a skillet and salt them. Add just enough olive oil to coat after you flip them in the pan a few times.
Burner=HIGH.
Once you have them sizzling and some of the bottom ones are a little browned, turn the burner to low.
Cover and let it sit while they soften.
While you are doing this you need to have a pot on the other burner going. This needs to have all your brats (with a pinhole prick on each end) on the bottom and covered in beer (come on man-use St. Pauli).
You just need these to bubble - DO NOT BOIL until their color says, "I'm cooked!"
OH and by the way, I like to use a small amount (as much as will fit in the center of your palm) of curry powder in the beer. Your call.
While these are slowly getting their tasty on, you need to light the grill and have it ready. Once the Brats are ready (and you have turned off the softened onions and peppers and removed from the heat), throw them on the grill and blacken them slightly as well as toasting the buns.
Just put them all together with some grainy mustard before you add the pepper and onion deliciousness to the brat and take a trip to Bavaria.
I don't usually like things like this - but the peppers and onions make it for me.
ReplyDeleteI bet Matt would LOVE this one. I'm sending it to him now.
ReplyDelete