Wednesday, July 15, 2009

OK-I'm on a Persian kick now

Falafil, lavash bread and chicken kabobs? It was a regular Sunday afternoon... we needed to get the team out of the house and fast. So we went to the pool which only lasted about an hour and a half before the kids were asking for lunch. So we went to my new favorite joint called Church St. Pizza. As usual, the pizza was great (a nice NY thin crust with enough grease to satisfy-along with a tall cool Miller Light). The kids ate their pizza happily and the wife and I kept the violence and crying to a minimum. After we ate I just couldn't deal with taking them back to our house and a light bulb burst over my head. I have always wanted to check out the Persian Bakery down the street. I drive by it every morning on the way to the subway and tell myself, "I'm going to check that joint out someday". I wasn't disappointed. The people there didn't speak English. Nor would they have understood my rudimentary Arabic-It was Persian (Iranian). I walked in and smelled the freshly baked bread, exotic spices, and row upon row of groceries with labels that I couldn't read or even know what they are. So whats a guy like me to do? I dive in. Grab all sorts of things to try out-that's what I do! I even bought the kids some sugar cookies from the seriously geriatric baker dude. He smiled at me as he looked at my blond brood of little ones. He didn't charge me for the cookies or for the tomato that my oldest decided to smash. Regardless if I totally blow this experiment I will be back. I love places like that.

Here are some videos of me making the falafil with tahini, lettuce and lavash bread. With children screaming in the background and giving commentary....

Never mind all that mess in the background and I definately dont drink Michelob Ultra.....

4 comments:

  1. You didn't mention that it was a huge success. Even the falafel naysayer (me) liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love falafel! I was just thinking of making some tonight - now I definitely have to. That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it, but I'll try about anything. The shop sounds awesome though.

    BTW, I loved your response about Kate and the cicada. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The adventurous cook! Good for you! I'm not a falafel lover but that looks great? Did the kids eat it?

    ReplyDelete