Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Salad? WTF? Thats not dinner!



Recently one of my closest friends went to his normal check up on a Friday afternoon. His doctor, personally, called him on Saturday and told him to not exercise, take it easy, and to meet him at 7:30 in the morning on Monday.

His triglycerides were over 4 times the normal acceptable level.

He called in on Monday and said he was going back to the doctor that day and would be late for work. I didn't get to talk to him until late in the day on Monday, when he told me what had transpired. I couldn't believe it. I was floored. He is skinny. We eat the same things. The only difference between us was the fact that I swim at lunch often, I don't eat egg sandwiches for breakfast and we are obviously aren't related.

Regardless of those facts I was very worried for him and worried for myself. I recently started taking fish oil pills because of him. I am going to redouble my efforts to get my workouts in. I am no longer going to be dousing my pancakes with butter but will be using margarine instead. I am now using I can't believe it's not Butter.

Don't worry. I'm not freaking out. I still love butter and bacon. But I have decided to make better choices now that I am in my mid 30's. I'm no longer indestructible.

And you know what? salads don't have to suck. They can be very good. My concern is hunger. I have always have been able to eat anything I want and not gain weight. I know-sorry. But I have decided that I am going to eat a salad, only a salad, for dinner twice a week. No chicken, no bacon bits, nothing. Nada.

I have always looked at salad as a side dish or an appetizer. There has to be something that tastes great without the Ranch Sauce or the Bleu Cheese Dressing and can still make my heart sing. check back. I am scrambling right now. I am reading up on salads.

Take your fish oil, exercise, and lay off the bacon this week. Are you with me?

4 comments:

  1. I love salad. I have some great recipes for really good salads, not just plain ol boring salads. Try putting some tuna on it, and some feta and olives. Delish! And I also have some great salad dressing recipes that punches all the flavor up, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll hop on your bandwagon...after I finish off the bacon in the fridge, of course. Besides, it's turkey bacon, so I'm half way to boring already, right?

    My cholesterol is always high and other than heredity I have no explanation. I mean, for crying out loud, I eat 3 cups of oatmeal a day!! (I hear it helps with milk production.)

    I like salads, but prefer spinach over just iceburg lettuce. I think you should add some sort of meat for extra protein though. Grill that chicken up and you've got a yummy, healthy dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope his levels are back down sooner than later! I exercise more now than I ever have since I'm training...and I'll try to lay off the bacon. Some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what triglycerides are but I hope your bud's okay.

    (I'd click through but I don't learn when I'm on vacation.)

    ReplyDelete